Australia Day Oats and Macadamia Slice
GF Oat Slice Two Ways
When you are googling Australia day recipes it seems there is a bit of a theme going on with ingredient choices, one is lamb but the other is recipes that contain oats.
We thought about other great Australian ingredients that we could pair our GF Oats with, that is not of course from Australia, YET. Top of our minds was macadamia nuts and banana flour from the guys from Natural Evolution in North Queensland. Banana flour is the bomb and to take it a step further we have added a short run to our online store so you can get your hands on some to try straight away with your oats order.
This oat slice is super delicious and healthy. By all means feel free to substitute the coconut sugar for brown sugar or the syrup for rice syrup or even honey will do. When it comes to the consistency of this oat slice, make sure that it is quite moist. The banana flour tends to soak up a lot of moisture when cooking. You need that moisture to hold it all together.
Option 1 you can cook plain and Option 2 is add some sliced coconut to the top.
Good luck I look forward to hearing how you enjoyed it.
- 2 cups of GF Oats
- ½ cup of gluten free plain flour
- ½ cup of banana flour
- ½ cup of coconut
- ½ cup of coconut sugar
- ½ cup of chopped macadamia nuts
- ½ cup of butter or 110g
- 50-100mls of boiling water
- 1 tsp of bicarb soda
- OPTIONAL EXTRA: A handful of white or chocolate bits would also be nice in this slice too.
- Place all your dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the butter, water, syrup and bicarb into a pot on the stove and warm until the butter has melted. It will start to bubble which is the chemical reaction with the bicarb. Mix this wet mixture into the dry mixture. I ran mine into the Theromix for 1 minute on about 2.5. I didn’t want it to go too fast as it chops the oats up too much. Scrape down the sides, check to see how moist it is,
addmore water if you need and mix again for another 1 minute.
- Press the ingredients into a prepared tray so that it is about 2cm thick. Bake for approximately 20minutes or until browned.
- Leave the slice in the tray to cool, then slice and store in an airtight container. Enjoy.