Oaty Chicken Strips
Everybody loves a quick and easy dinner, snack or lunch box idea. A recipe came across my desk a couple of weeks ago and after making a few changes I came up with a fabulous recipe if I do say so myself. This is a truly delicious recipe, it is oaty chicken strips, the KFC healthy way. Of course, featuring Gloriously Free Oats. I bought the organic chicken thighs. I’d rather use chicken thighs as they make the strips easier. The ingredients I’m giving you below, are the ingredients for 500 grams of chicken. So you can half it or double it if you need to.
Okay, let’s get into it.
You need two eggs and you need to beat them up. In another bowl, I want you to use the ground-down oats. Now, you just put your Gloriously Free Oats into the blender and grind them down to a good consistency. Sought of like a quick oat, but not quite. Also, put four teaspoons of smoked paprika into the bowl. And, four teaspoons of garlic salt. Also, a little bit of pepper, you can use either black or white, or leave it out if you need to.
While you are preparing that, heat up about a quarter of a cup of olive oil on the stove. Then you can simply just pop your chicken into your egg mixture. Then straight into the oats mixture.
I just want to give you a quick tip. If you don’t like getting it all over your hands, cause I know it can get a bit messy. Pop into a paper bag, shake it all up. Open up the paper bag, pull out the chicken strip and put them straight into the pan. Easy as!
Once you have fried them up. Please don’t fry them on too hot a heat. Because they seem to burn quite easily. They look great, they are so delicious, gorgeous little finger food. If you want to do them as an entree or just an easy dinner.
I also made a beautiful dipping sauce to go with it. So, I just got some mayonnaise and some sweet chilli sauce. But I have also done it with a teaspoon of the smoked paprika.
You can, of course, change the herbs and spices to suit yourself but you have the basic ingredients and method here. Sometimes the simplest of recipes are often the best. Let me know in the comments below if you gave this a go and if you changed the spices. What did you use?
- 500g Chicken Thighs
- 2 cups of ground GF Oats
- 2 eggs beaten
- 4 tsp of Paprika
- 4 tsp of Garlic Salt
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- Olive Oil for frying
- Prepare ingredients beforehand. Cut the chicken thighs into strips.
- Add Into a bowl or paper bag the ground down GF Oats, paprika, garlic salt and pepper. (Watch the video describing how to do that)
- In another bowl, add 2 eggs, blend thoroughly.
- Take your chicken strips and add in approximately ½ into the egg mixture and move them around until they are coated in the egg mixture.
- In small batches, add the egg coated chicken strips to the paper bag or into the bowl with the ground down GF Oats. Either shake the bag or turn the chicken in the bowl of oats to ensure they are covered in the oats mixture. Continue the process until all the chicken has been coated.
- Now heat in a frypan the olive oil. Add the chicken strips in batches.
- Tip: Don’t cook them on too high a heat as they burn very quickly.
- Serve with your favourite dipping sauce.
I hope you enjoy your Oaty Chicken Strips.