I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been asked how to make Oat Milk this year. I am finally getting around to sharing my super-duper recipe, which is not rocket science, but YES YES, please make your own. It’s easy and delicious.
It turns out that Oat Milk was on the most popular trends list for 2019. At the Vegan show in Brisbane the other weekend, it was the dairy-free option at the café blend. And I must say it tasted pretty good in the coffee all frothed up. Anyway, until we develop our GF Oats Oat Milk in smart long life packs, how about giving this a try.
1 batch should last for about 5 days in the fridge.
So, this creamy recipe takes just 2 ingredients, 1 blender, and 5 minutes! Let me show you how!
What is Oat Milk?
Well, it is really just Oats, not just any oats of course, but GF Oats, water and a couple of dates.
How to make Oat Milk from GF Oats?
To make it simply add 1 cup rolled oats + 4 cups water to a high-speed blender and blend on high for 30-45 seconds. Then strain through a clean towel for best results.
We found nut milk bags let too much pulp through. Fine mesh strainers also let too much pulp through, so we don’t recommend using them.
This method yields creamy oat milk every time that’s perfect for adding to coffee, matcha, cereal, oats, baked goods, granola, and more!
You can Flavour your Milk – This is super cool, pardon the pun, coming into Summer try adding in your own flavours for flavoured variations. Add a pinch of sea salt, a date, vanilla extract, cacao powder, or berries when blending for added flavour!
Tips for making delicious Oat Milk
- Don’t Over-blend it can make the milk slimy in texture.
- Avoid soaking your oats that can also make the oats more prone to sliminess. Just add to the blender with water and blend!
- Sometimes heating your oat milk can make it become slimy, so we don’t recommend it.
- I recommend straining twice to remove any of that excess starch which can also lend to a slimy texture.
- Straining with a towel or clean t-shirt as nut milk bags and fine mesh strainers let too much pulp through.
Looking for some smoothie recipe inspiration? Check out our top 3 combos here.