Join the Smoothie Craze!
Have you noticed the Smoothie Craze? Everyone loves them! So, this month we are all about Oat Smoothies for breakfast, a snack or anywhere in between.
The humble smoothie has had a real comeback this year, not to mention the many and varied smoothie bowls combo’s, your only limitations are your creativity with ingredient combinations. We have really added them into our daily routine in our house a lot more this year than usual. Yes, they help keep you sustained when you’re on the go, but they are just so…so easy.
As the days warm-up, don’t ditch your daily dose of oats that you were having in the form of porridge, add these babies to your smoothie and have an Oat smoothie instead.
Here are some of my thoughts about Smoothies and in particular Oatmeal Smoothies.
Why join the Smoothie craze?
- Smoothies for breakfast using oats are really the fastest most effective way to get out the day fast sustainably.
- Smoothies are chocked full of vitamins, enzymes and minerals, well version is anyway.
- They are easy to prepare and digest, which means you optimise your body’s ability to assimilate the ingredients better.
- A great combination can assist with stabilizing blood sugar and assist with detoxing and finally
- You can load up your smoothie with fruit, veggies and fibre all in the one meal – Boom!
I find overall, I just get a great boost of energy from my smoothie’s in a one-stop meal on the go!
If you are like me, you might be struggling with digestion, so I find that when I blend the ingredients, I can digest them a lot easier. Ie. No tummy rumbles here…I read somewhere that you use 80% of your energy digesting and assimilating your nutrients, so you may as well support this process in one meal of the day.
What do you need?
You do need a decent blender of some description to enable the effective breakdown of all the ingredients into a palatable form. You don’t want those lumpy bits, yukko!
I love a good formula to follow to make sure that I tick all the boxes and get the most bang out of my liquid gold.
My Oat Smoothie Formula
1. Choose your liquid. This part is very easy, water, coconut water or a milk of some sort. My favourite is ½ cup of water and ½ cup of dairy-free milk. I just got into Oat milk, see how to make your own here, it’s super easy.
2. Choose your veggies & fruit there are so many combinations but I like to choose just 1 fruit eg. Banana or berries and then pop in with some Baby Spinach or Kale.
3. Now for the Fat/Protein – hemp seeds, nut butter, avocado, coconut oil, flax or chia seeds. If you have a favourite protein powder blend, pop a bit of that in.
4. GF Oats of course, about ¼ cup, is all you need. It just helps sustain and balance the smoothie.
5. Superfoods – maca, raw cacao, shredded coconut, goji berries etc
6. Sweetener, now this, of course, is optional and there are so many choices depending on your dietary requirements. Try some of our GF Oats Raw Honey or just use fruit, rice syrup or stevia powder. Your taste buds will know best.
Smoothies are just an easy way to get out the door in the morning. Whether you are a creature of habit and have the same couple of combinations or you love variety, they tick all those boxes. Oat smoothies, in particular, are really the perfect way to get that fibre, extra minerals and vitamins and that touch of carb to round off the perfect smoothie combination.
Try out some of our combinations to get you out the door HERE.