Healthy Breakfast Cereal
Healthy breakfast cereal using Wholefoods make a super raw muesli.
We sell an incredible amount of bulk oats, which is fantastic. Plain oats of course you can use in so many ways as you will see from other recipes on our site and showcased in our “50 ways with GF Oats” e-book.
Oats contain large amounts of the soluble fibre beta-glucan. Considerable evidence suggests that beta-glucan can lower high levels of cholesterol in the blood and has anticoagulant properties, making it heart-friendly.
A 2007 US study found eating 6g of oat beta-glucan per day for six weeks was enough to cause a significant reduction in total and LDL (bad) cholesterol, as well as improving bowel health. Their low GI (glycaemic index) also means it’s a perfect way to start your day and improve heart, colon, and metabolic health.
Boost Your Daily Nutrition
I have been playing around with ingredients over summer. And have come up with a beautiful nutritious blend of superfoods and Wholefoods that you can add to your GF Oats and boost your daily nutrition in your breakfast to make a healthy breakfast cereal and start to the day.
You can make a large batch and it will stay in your pantry for about 1 month in cooler months. If you are going into summer, pop ½ in the freezer so that the nuts and seeds, in particular, don’t go rancid. I would also be trying to source pesticide ingredients where you can.
Just store in large snap lock bags in the freezer or large airtight bottles in the pantry.
SUPERFOODS RAW MUESLI
- 3 cups of GF Rolled Oats
then add in 1/3 cup of six of any of the following options:
- Raw Almonds ( I prefer activated for gut health)
- Raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- Flax seeds
- Coconut flakes (or shreds) – without added sugar
- Raw pecans
- Chia seeds
- Dried Fruit, preferable sulphite free
- Cacao Nibs
- Goji berries
- Sunflower seeds
- Macadamia nuts
- Coconut sugar is great for a pop of sweetness
- Coconut crunch
- Puffed rice, buckwheat etc
- Phylum husks if you are needing extra fibre (be careful they are not for everyone)
Let me know if you can think of any more in the comments below…
- Add all the ingredients into a large bowl, mix well or add to large airtight jars, and shake to incorporate.
- To serve, use 1/3 cup of muesli with non-dairy milk or yoghurt, or use it as a smoothie or smoothie bowl topping.