What are the benefits of buying Organic Oats?
The first week in September is National Organic week, which is very timely as that is when GF Oats Australia have their Certified Organic oats audit.
The Australian organic industry is currently worth $2.6 billion and growing year on year. Strong growth has been driven largely by consumer appetite for natural, pesticide-free and synthetic chemical-free wholesome food and a growing awareness of environmentally sustainable practices.
GF Oats started to import our Certified Organic Oats in 2015 by popular request. Our growers have had to increase the supply of their organic oats year on year to keep up with the growing demand both here and internationally. To enable us to claim that they are Certified Organic here in Australia, we have to present a registered organic body here in Australia with our Certified Organic documents from our growers and then provide them with adequate traceability to ensure that the product maintains its organic standing along the supply channels. Much the same as if you are preventing a product getting contaminated with other grains that contain gluten.
Just out of interest our Traditional oats and Quick oats along with the Certified Organic Oats are NOT subject to exposure from glyphosate. Please check our FAQ’s and Compliance pages for statements from our growers.
Why should we care about Organic Certifications?
Organic food has been a hot topic for some now, but what really is the difference? And, why should you care? Food and ingredients produced via organic farming practises is food that is as natural as can be, and protocols are in place to ensure that products used to control insects and weeds which are the predominant problems are controlled via organic means.
When you see an Organic label you can be assured that there are:
- No synthetic chemicals, pesticides or herbicides
- Made without artificial colours or preservatives
- Animals are free to roam
- No antibiotics
- No genetically modified ingredients (GMOs)
Why are Organic Products more expensive?
If you are wondering why you should consider changing your family over to Organic products, then there are a few reasons why you would pay the extra price associated. The farming is generally more labour intensive. If you have ever grown your own vegetables you will know that without the conventional use of pesticides and herbicides, you will need to pay more for soil preparation, organic fertilizers and insect control products along with the labour required. For us at GF Oats we choose to be certified with ACO, which means that every year we have to pay for an auditor to come to our business and audit our systems and processors to ensure that we are complying. This is of course at more cost on top of the premium price we pay for our organic oats from the farmer.
Why would you choose Organic Oats?
There are many independent studies showing the many benefits of choosing to change over to organic foods where you can.
- Nutritional benefits are the first that comes to mind. As the food is not exposed to the many and varied chemicals that are used in conventional farming making organic oats more nutritious and abundant in vitamins, minerals and micronutrients.
- No pesticides. There has been a lot of information shared about the dangers of glyphosate in particular which is the active ingredient in many herbicides the most popular being Roundup. Most produce that is not organic will come with chemical residue on it, so please ensure you wash your precious produce prior to eating. But in reference to oats, this is impossible to do. Ps: check our compliance page which shows our farmers do not use any glyphosate in their farming practises.
- All the additives, GF Oats and associated product just don’t contain any artificial ingredients or chemical additives, no MSG or preservatives. Nasty stuff.
- Organic oats just tastes better. You will see a slight difference in the texture of our Certified Organic Oats but I think the most significant is the taste. That creamy pure taste of organic oats is simply the best oats I’ve ever tasted, and yes of course I am biased. You can get yourself a sample of these in our online shop.
How do you know our Oats are Certified Organic?
Many products can claim their products are Organic but be careful as they claim generally means that there can be only 1 ingredient that is certified organic. There are several companies in Australia that you can be certified with however here at GF Oats we are certified with the Australian Certified Organic or ACO. You will see this ACO bud on all our certified organic oats. Ps: note our biscuits are Organic but we don’t certify them as this will add additional costing to that product which we did not wish to incur and subsequently charge our customers. For that product 95% of the ingredients are certified organic.
We also don’t use any pesticides in our warehouse or in the supply chain of this product.